Basic Guide to Study Abroad
Easy as it sounds, yet the study abroad process may be tedious and confusing. Based on various FAQ’s and queries on study abroad procedure, we have compiled this resourceful guide for students.
Below are the various steps to be followed during the study abroad process
- Research: Based on your previous academics and future study goals, you can begin your research on various countries offering the desired courses with the suitable curriculum and post study opportunities after course completion. The basic research can be explored in many ways
- Google Search – Google has readily available basic information on overseas education.
- Friends or Relatives abroad- If you have friends or relatives abroad, you could probably get in touch with them to know the brief information on the country.
- Education and University Fairs – If you are aware of any universities fair taking place at your location, you can visit the fair to interact with University representatives and gain the first hand information required.
- Student counselors and study abroad consultants – Visiting a student counselor or consultants can also help you gain first hand knowledge on overseas education.
- Study Abroad Counseling : If you have no idea or just have a glimpse about studying abroad, it would be recommended to visit a student counselor or study abroad consultants who has first hand knowledge and complete information on overseas education. Understanding your future needs and vision, they can guide you to the right course and destination suitable for you.
Now with a brief information obtained from your research and counseling, you can further narrow down options to the next step
- Course and Country selection : Post exploring various options, you can now pick the exact course and country that would tailor your study goals and post study goals. Now that you have decided on the country and course, you can proceed to the next step.
- Prerequisites: Depending on the study location, there maybe prerequisites to prove language proficiency and more. For example, IELTS/TOEFL/PTE are tests for English proficiency which is usually applicable for all countries. Also depending on the country there maybe an additional requirement, for example USA requires SAT/GRE/GMAT depending on the level of study and Germany may require German Language certification, etc.
Note: Few countries can waive of the above requirements based on certain prerequisites available.
- Documentation : Prepare your documents before filing the university applications. Below are the documents:-
- All academic documents
- English Proficieny Scorecard (If required)
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of recommendations
- Resume or CV
- Applicaton Submission : Submit the application by filling all the necessary details and attaching required documents(if mentioned). If an education agent is applying, they will complete this step on your behalf.
Note: Application can be paper based or online portal based. Few universities also charge an application fee for the submission of the application. Be sure to check the application procedure on the University website.
- Admission : Based the evaluation of previous academics and other factors, the University will send an offer to the applicant with terms and conditions for the accepting the offer. If any conditions are mentioned please be sure to fulfill them. Accepting the offer can be done according the procedure mentioned in the offer letter. Usually a deposit is to be paid towards the acceptance of offer or submit a signed offer to University over mail or confirm on the University portal.
- Finance : Being aware of the tuition fee as mentioned in the offer letter, student can start preparing for the funding portion. Funds can be shown in various ways. Be sure to check the country requirements for proof of funds.
Note : Few countries does not encourage proof of funds completely on an education loan. Hence self funding upto a certain amount maybe required.
- Visa Documentation : With the availability of funds, next step is to arrange for various documents for filing the student visa. The documents include all your academics, funds (shown in terms of bank balance, bank statements, education loan letter), medical check-up, police clearance certificate and other documents according the country visa checklist.
- Visa Application : With the documents organized, you can now proceed to submit the student visa application. For the submission of visa application, the applicant must also be prepared to pay the visa fee. Once the visa application has been submitted, the outcome of your visa application maybe vary from country to country. It is advisable to file for student visa before 2-3 months of the course to avoid any kind of urgency.
Note : Few countries require the student to attend a visa interview at the embassy or consulate or online platform.
- Countdown to fly to the study destination : Hurray! With the successful visa outcome, the student can prepare to study abroad.
HOW WE HELP?
Haneeva Consultancy represents 700+ universities across the globe and we assist students beginning with counseling to pre-departure. Interested students can contact us to avail our services.